Best Residential & Commercial Smoke Testing in Knoxville, Tennessee
Smoke testing is an affordable and efficient way to establish the cause of an infiltration or inflow problem. It involves forcing smoke-filled air inside a wastewater collection or sewer system. The smoke being sent to the sewer system via pressure will start filling your main line, and any other connections that could be present. It will then start following the path where there is a leak and start surfacing above the ground.
It helps in revealing the areas where there could be a problem. Knoxville Plumbing ensures that it only uses enough force to assist in overcoming the atmospheric pressure. As long as there is an open gateway for this pressurized smoke to follow, the residential smoke testing exercise is bound to be a success.
At Knoxville Plumbing, we provide two main types of services:
• Commercial smoke testing
• Residential smoke testing
Why Do We Recommend Smoke Testing?
1. Smoke testing is an effective, and affordable way for you to locate any infiltration or exfiltration problems that could be present in your sewer or wastewater collection systems
2. Residential and commercial smoke testing is used nationally as a tool for locating problems that pose a threat to the clean water supply systems. These are problems that normally end up costing millions of dollars to rectify, in addition to treatment of wastewater.
3. The method is used in identifying the presence of plumbing leaks in a building. If problems are not identified on time, the sewer gases may end up causing health-related problems for the building occupants.
How Does Residential Smoke Testing Work?
When the smoke is sent into your sewer system under pressure, there is a possibility that you could notice smoke coming out of gutters, vents, or manholes. This is a common occurrence in residential smoke testing. The smoke seen coming from beneath the ground may be an indication that there is a defect or break somewhere in the sewer transmission line. It is this break that makes it possible for smoke to start escaping above ground.
It is, however, essential to note that smoke does not always come up at the site suspected to have a defect. There are instances where smoke will escape through the area with the defect then migrate or travel along the transmission line until it finds a point where it can rise above ground.
Although rare, there is always a likelihood that the smoke may find its way into your house via a drain trap, which may with time have become dry. Additionally, there could be another plumbing defect which could be present, e.g., the presence of un-trapped washing machine drain.
Residential houses often have more than one connection to your sanitary system, e.g., sump pumps and floor drains. In the event that these connections become blocked or clogged, they may start causing problems for you and your family. Some of the problems caused include:
• Mildew Damage—mildew often thrives in environments that are moist. A leak in your home will start releasing water into the walls and foundations, and this will increase the chances of mildew growth.
• Floor Damage—water leaks tend to be pulled down, thanks in part to gravity. Once they have been pulled down, they will start collecting, and this will lead to structural damage if the leak goes for long without detection or treatment.
• Wall Damage—home plumbing runs along your home’s wall. Therefore, a cracked or broken pipe will start creating cracks in the wall, and this may cause more damage.
• Water Wastage—Every year, millions of water gallons get wasted across the nation due to unrepaired or untreated leaks. You can protect your environment by hiring our team of professional leak repairers to take care of the problem for you.
If you hear running water when your taps have been turned off or notice the appearance of cracks on your walls, this could mean that you have a leak in the homestead. Our team of leak detection specialists can come to your home and perform a non-invasive smoke test which would help you identify the source of the problem. Our services are fast, reliable, and affordable, and designed to make it possible for your family to move on with your life.
Commercial Smoke Testing
Commercial smoke testing is recommended for commercial buildings such as hotels, schools, or municipal buildings. You need to consider a few factors before making a decision on whether smoke testing will be beneficial to your property. For instance, you need to consider the age and kind of materials that have been used in your building.
Many municipal buildings tend to have sanitary systems that are fifty to a hundred years old, and many of which are made-up of outdated or low-quality materials. Over time, decay is likely to cause the system to start breaking down, and this may lead to excessive infiltration during the rainy seasons.
Whenever it rains, the mere presence of undesired connection such as catch basins, yard drains, basement drains, and cross connections from roof downspouts, foundation drains, and storm sewers is likely to cause water to become elevated. The best way to determine whether this is present in your connection system would be to check the influent flow meter in your building.
Our plumbing experts can do this for you using smoke testing. As is the case with residential smoke testing, smoke will start coming from the areas that have leaks. The presence of an odor inside the facility also means that you have a leak that should be addressed.
We often recommend alerting all individuals in the facility or building of the ongoing tests so as not to cause undue panic. It is common for people to become anxious when they notice or detect a smoke odor inside a public building.
Why Choose Knoxville Plumbing for Your Smoke Detection Services?
At Knoxville Plumbing, we believe in promoting and safeguarding the well-being of our clients. This is the reason why use laboratory tested liquefied smoke for all our residential and commercial smoke testing tests. The smoke is clean and does not come with any toxic compounds that could be harmful to your health. Other factors that separate us from other plumbers are:
• Use of cutting edge leak detection and repair tools
• We have an experienced team of plumbing professionals ready to cater to all your repair needs.
• Affordable smoke detection services
• We cater to all clients, regardless of the size of your home or business
All Knoxville residents deserve to get the best possible plumbing services in the area. You do not need scam artists attempting to sell you plumbing solutions that may not work for your problem. We have a commitment to all our clients, where we provide a guarantee that the problem will be addressed in accordance to their wishes. We pride ourselves in making all our clients happy.
It is our goal to provide the most innovative and highest quality plumbing services, providing peace of mind for you as our client and us as professionals, while we exceed your expectations of customer service.